When I think of paradise and perfection on the beach, I think of Tulum, Mexico. There is something very amazing about this little, beautiful beach town which is just 90 minutes from Cancun. Besides the fact that it is stunning, the food is exquisite, the hotels are beachy perfection, the homemade drinks and juices are to die for and it’s pure relaxation; free of any heavy tourist traffic. We scouted Tulum for our destination wedding but our guest list was a bit big for a quaint, Tulum wedding so we married in Playa Del Carmen instead. However, we couldn’t shake Tulum, so we honeymooned there and it was frigging magical. The uniqueness of this little Mexican beach town is unlike any place I’ve traveled before. It holds a very special place in my heart and I cannot wait to get back for another yoga session on the beach followed by a homemade margarita after savasana. Here are my top 10 favorite things to do in Tulum plus one major reason to head there this year!
1. Take a walk on the beach right before sunset and watch the sky turn shades of pink, orange, purple and blue. Grab a tropical drink at one of the local beach hut bars and hit the sand with a drink in hand.
2. It may be hard to do because the beach is so addicting, but be sure to venture off the sand and explore the main drag. There are so many quaint little shops, cute beachy bars, espresso cafes (so euro), super cool yoga studios and places to explore. Plus tons of great art and photo opts!
3. After dinner take a stroll down the beach back to your hotel and let the moon and stars guide you home. Coming from Chicago the skyline provides us light. Walk the beaches of Tulum on a clear night and you will feel like it’s just you and the moon. It’s amazing. #naturesflashlight
4. Stop in and explore the hotels. The people of Tulum are so welcoming and hospitable and there are so many places to stay. Each hotel is really unique and they all have a different vibe to them. Some of my favorite places we’ve stayed are Be Tulum, Amansala and Ahau (pictured). Each so different and amazing in it’s own unique way.
5. Find a rooftop and see Tulum from above. The view from up high is so cool because it’s partially a bright blue ocean and then tons of tons of foliage and jungle. It’s so breathtaking. Grab a bottle of white and head to the roof shortly before sunset, sit back and enjoy the show.
6. Hit up as many delicious beachy restaurants as you can. There are seriously so many culinary gems in Tulum it’s hard to get to them all. And don’t be fooled, it’s not all Mexican food. One of my favorite spots is an Italian restaurant right on the beach! My most favorite places in Tulum are Hartwood, Casa Banana and Posada Margherita. Oh and the ceviche at Be Tulum? It’s a must!
7. Drink out of a coconut beach side and chat with the “locals”. On our honeymoon we met a Canadian dude who quit his life back home and moved to the beaches of Tulum to sell rum balls. You read that right, rum balls. The guy couldn’t have been happier and that is how all of the people you meet in Tulum are, frigging happy and lovin’ life.
8. Lay around topless…because no one cares and it’s so freeing! As I mentioned in my post on why traveling is good for the mind, body and soul, I am all for skinny dipping and in Tulum, laying around without your top is not frowned upon, so why not join the party. Let’s put it this way, if you’re with your main squeeze, loving life on the beach, why not tan those boobies? But don’t forget your sunscreen. There’s nothing fun about burnt breasts.
9. Take time out of your beachy vacation to see the Tulum ruins. I love that these ruins are close to the beach and it’s not an entire day excursion, because let’s be honest, coming from Chicago, you want all the beach time you can get! The ruins are so beautiful and they also offer another majestic view of Tulum. Keep an eye out for super big iguanas and for sure wear sunscreen and a hat. It.is.HOT.
10. YOGA. Everywhere you turn there is a yoga studio or class happening near by. And just like the rest of Tulum, each class and studio are different and super frigging cool. It’s a beautiful thing to do some yoga on the beach to the sound of the ocean. It’s perfection.
11. And finally, perhaps the best reason to head to Tulum this year is because a super cool sister collaboration is happening and you should come and be a part of it! The Sister Project and Vanessa Palmer, author of Om for the Mom and sister Sarah Palmer, Chicago-based Kundalini Yoga Teacher are throwing down a Cool Ass Yoga Experience come November 4-8 at Tulum’s gorgeous Amansala Eco-Chic Resort. For five days, a group of cool ass women are going to chill, practice yoga, relax, chat, revive, have some tropical cocktails and refresh on the beach of Tulum and it’s going to be amazing! Seriously, imagine waking up to the ocean, perhaps join a walking or running group on the beach in the morning, set off some fire lanterns by night, get your meditation and yoga on and reset your brain before the hectic holiday season begins. But most importantly, meet some cool ass people, laugh and love the beach life and YOUR life for a few days. Whether you’ve done 100 classes or no classes of yoga, it doesn’t matter. Never meditated? Cool, we’ll teach you. Looking to have Nicole make you laugh so hard you pee your bathing suit? Done. Cool ass ladies who want more info and want to hop on the Tulum ride, email firstname.lastname@example.org. This is going to be life changing, promise.
Love it. Live it. Share it.