There is nothing better than little beauty tips and secrets to keep in our back pocket when needed. Who better to learn from than the people who grace magazine covers and movie screens world wide and their make up artists, trainers and doctors. Since the first time I picked up the late Kevyn Aucoin’s book Making Faces, I have been obsessed with celebrity beauty secrets. I remember rubbing Vaseline all over my eyelids and teeth to add “shine” to them because Cher said she used to in the 70’s. Yeah. All over my teeth. Although I since stopped doing that, I have picked up much more effective and liberating beauty tools thanks to all the stars that love to share them. In return….I’m sharing them with you! Buckle up, get your Greek yogurt out and slather it all over your face while I fill you in on some of Hollywood’s best shared beauty tips and secrets to staying fit.
1. At home facial! Lauren Conrad swears by using Greek yogurt as a mask to help clean and purify her skin. The main ingredient of the yogurt, lactose enzymes, are the secret behind this mask. I do it regularly and love it!
2. De-puff those eyes. She also suggests taking sliced potatoes from the refrigerator, letting them soak in water for thirty seconds, place them on your eyelids for fifteen minutes to help reduce puffiness.
3. Tea anyone? Miranda Kerr recently shared one of her favorite at home skin care regiments. She boils a pot of water, places a bag of organic green tea and let’s her face steam allowing her skin to absorb all of the antioxidants and anti-aging properties. Be sure to turn place a towel over your head and stay for about three minutes. I did it last night…I’ll be doing this weekly.
4. Drink tons of water! That’s America Ferrara’s best beauty tip and it shows. Her skin glows! Save lots of money and the earth and get yourself a glass bottle. Mine goes everywhere with me. Plus, plastic bottles are bad for you.
5. Prune it. My most favorite photo trick comes by way of the Olsen twins. It is rumored that the two whisper to themselves the word “prune” to create that perfect pout. Michelle and I are OBSESSED with this trick. It’s so much better than having duck face in a photo. So next time, instead of saying “cheese”, say “pruuuuuuuune”.
6. Need another photo trick? Jessica Chastain swears by pushing her tongue behind her teeth to make sure she doesn’t over smile. I’ll be trying this one.
7. It puts the lotion on it’s skin. (Little Silence of the Lambs humor there.) Demi Moore is obsessed with moisturizing and declares that no matter what time she gets home, she lathers up before bed time.
8. SPF is where it’s at. There is a slew of actresses that basically hide from the sun by wearing hats, chilling under umbrellas and protecting their skin by using sunscreen galore. Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore are two I’ve read this about over and over again…their skin isn’t lying.
9. Get on your mat. Jen Anniston is a very devote yogi. She has hailed it as her means to staying fit. That and healthy snacking…almonds anyone? Namaste Lady Anniston, keep it up girl, looking good!
10. Facelift and zen? Another devote yogi, Diane Lane, has credited acupuncture facelifts to helping her stay and look youthful. This procedure helps to reduce sagging skin, makes skin more resilient and helps reduce fine lines. Sign.me.up.
11. Ommmmmmm. Naomi Watts is all about getting zen and meditating to help her stay youthful and relaxed. Here’s my “how to meditate” to get you zen too.
12. Thirsty fella? First thing in the morning, every morning, Cameron Diaz downs a glass of water to help re-energize her and her lungs. She also says having a ton of sex keeps her happy and fit. Ok!
13. Got cellulite? Halle Berry credits much of her good skin to good genes, but when it comes to cellulite she adds ground coffee to her body wash as an exfoliate to help smooth her skin and increase blood flow. Adding that to my beauty regiment stat.
14. Wake up your eyes! Several stars attribute perking up a tired face to having their favorite eyelash curler on hand and adding that extra pop to their face. Shu Uemera’s curler is Nicole’s fav!
15. Did I hear Vaseline??? I sure did. Rachel Bilson uses the petroleum jelly to remove her makeup. Makes sense to me, but I prefer coconut oil to remove my fifty coats of mascara.
16. Lotion vs Oil. Due to allergies, Emma Stone can’t use many over the counter products so directly after a hot shower she uses store bought grape seed oil as a moisturizer to keep her face hydrated and beautiful. Lately I’ve been using straight up olive oil and loving it!
17. Exfoliate your curves. Reality star Kim Kardashian West reportedly adds sugar to her body wash to create a gentle exfoliator to keep her curvacious body smooth and shiny.
18. Got bags? According to Sandra Bullock, Preparation H (you read that right) helps reduce puffiness around the eyes. Dang, I’ll try anything, even this!
19. Alert! Supermodel secret! Cindy Crawford mixes whole milk with mineral water and sprays it on her face throughout the day to keep her gorgeous face hydrated. #doneanddone
20. Is your skin looking tired and dull? Try Kate Hudson’s trick. Fill a bowl with water and a lot of ice and you guessed it, sink your cute little face in it. When asked how for how long for, the beauty responds, “it depends how badly I want it.” I once saw New York Housewife Sonja Morgan take a facial ice bath and although bat shit crazy, she looks gorgeous. I’ll try it!
21. Curl those bottom lashes! That’s what Taylor Swift does to brighten her eyes even more. She turns the eyelash curler upside down and gets it done. Sounds tricky, but worth a try.
22. Stay fit doing what you love! That is Kate Hudson’s motto and I am so with her. Find what your “thing” is and be the best you can at it. She looks amaaaazing, so she is definitely doing something right.
23. Plank me baby, one more time. Britney Spears’ yoga instructor helps get her abs Vegas ready with tons of core and toning poses. Here are some of her favorite moves and positions to help beginners, one being my favorite, plank pose! Get er’ done ladies!
24. Rethink your diet. 60 year old stunner, Christy Brinkly, credits a healthy life style, positive attitude and vegetarian diet to looking youthful and beautiful. I’ve been reading a lot about animal free diets and the more I read, the more I eliminate. And I love a good steak and lamb chops.
25. I’m not a celebrity, but I did do traffic for NBC 5 back in the day, so I think my secret counts. Lol! Have a pimple…get some tea tree oil and a dab will do ya. Works like a charm! Side note: Ironically, I’m still terrible with directions.
Love It. Live it. Share it.