Whenever Nicole, Lauren and I get excited about something related to the blog, we use five words to describe our elation. “Top hat and a cane.” When those words appear across the screen of my phone, whether I write it or someone else, we know, someone is OVER THE MOON, Rockette style kick lining, with a friggin top hat and a cane. That bitch is stoked. Right now, as the evening chill rolls in and autumn candles are flying off TJ Maxx’s shelves like hot cakes, I am literally “top hat and caning” it all over town.
I LOVE FALL! It’s a family thing. We get this from our momma. Perhaps it was the constant burning of pumpkin scented candles, or maybe it was our annual apple picking trip, but the feeling never changes. In fact, each year when autumn arrives, I am pretty sure I am more excited than I was the year before.This time of year puts a little extra pep in my step.
So, without further ado, this is my list of fall themed activities I am looking most forward to doing before Chi-beria sets in.
1. Trace some leaves – This is number one on my list because it is number one in my heart. I loved doing this as a kid and have been doing it with my kids since, well, they were small. Not only is this activity fun, it is totally educational. All you need are some nice, flat, fallen leaves, oak, maple, locust, what have you and some paper and crayons. Place the leaf under the paper and trace away.
2. Hay Rack Ride – Once a year you just gotta!
3. Oktoberfest – You aren’t really enjoying fall until you experience an Oktoberfest. Turns out Berghoff’s fest is going on as we speak. Prost!
4. Take a fall hike – For the love of Mary, get out into the woods and take in the colors of fall! Shoot, might be a great place to grab some leaves for tracing. BAM! Two birds, one stone. That is what we are here for. If you are near Chicago, this list is for you.
5. Scare the shit out of your kids via a proper haunted house – I find some of my most fun is had when Nicole and I drag our kids through a haunted house. Amateur houses of horror, with baby carriages rocking back and forth, not zombie apocalyptic, chain rattling, gate grabbing horror shows like I saw growing up. Let us all ban together and get even in advance for all the bologna our offspring are going to throw our way. Scare em damn it! It’s fall!
6. Leaf piles a la William – My little guy is OBSESSED with yard work. He loves weed whacking and leaf blowing. Just as long as he’s not whacking and blowing in places he shouldn’t, then we are all good. I say, crack a frosty bev, get out the rake, and make your kids the biggest pile of leaves they have ever seen.
7. Bake an apple pie – Go grab yourself a bushel of apples, tis the season, and dial up that Betty Crocker in your life and get to baking. Sounds like the gift that keeps on giving right there.
8. Sit around a bonfire, regularly.
9. Tell a scary story – You now know that my sick and twisted family has loved to prematurely scare our youth for generations. Yeah, our mom. Get out that flashlight, turn the lights down and haunt your children’s dreams. #HappyHalloween
10. Eat at least one apple or pumpkin spiced donut – I don’t typically choose donuts, but when it is fall, I do.
11. Roast some squash – These odd shaped little buggers are a symbol of the autumn harvest and if there is ever a time to eat them, it is now. Have you ever stuffed an acorn squash with pork sausage, apples, onion and spices? One squash meal! Get it? The best.
12. Make chili – On the “100 things I learned from my mom” list, it stated it was acceptable to eat chili all year around. I whole heartedly agree, but doesn’t it seem that much more comforting when there is a chill in the air?
13. Start a fantasy football draft…for the housewives – Here is the deal. We all know come football season, our husbands and boyfriends will be glued to the tube, laptop within arms reach, watching like the sports addicts they are in hopes to take home the kitty at the end of the season. But hold on, as if EVERY SINGLE SUNDAY from noon until nightfall wasn’t enough, they first have to go to their fantasy football draft. A days long affair filled with boozing and drafting their “pretend team for the season”. Next season, I’m starting my own draft. This self proclaimed “band-wagoneer”, hooting and hollering for the wrong team when they get a first down, is going to get herself a fantasy football team and bet the shit out of it. Who is coming with me?
14. Eat oysters – It’s oyster season!!! Did you know you are only supposed to eat oysters during the months that end with -er? SeptembER, OctobER, NovembER! Start slurping.
15. Attend a harvest party…or host one! – Every year Ryan and I and our close friends share the hosting of a pretty rad harvest party. Okbtoberfest beer. Check. Hay bails. Check check. Smoked meat. Check check check. All surrounded by the peeps you don’t get to see often enough, and the crisp fall air. My favorite!
16. Knit something – It just seems like the right thing to do in fall. Perhaps get an early start on a couple of handmade Christmas gifts, MY FAVORITE!
17. We get to wear hats – Don’t feel bad about your hair don’t. Hat season is upon us!
18. Drink craft beer in excess. Not sure why that seems more appropriate in autumn.
19. Sleep with the windows open – Best sleeping weather ever.
20. Make soup every Sunday. Slow cooking Sunday is what I call it and I promise there is nothing more comforting than the smell of hot, wholesome goodness on the stove top, all day long. This soup recipe is one of my all time favorites.
21. Pick your own apples – Hurry up! Before they are all picked!
22. Dust off that crock pot – Crock pot spells autumn backwards. Wait, what?
So there you have it! A pretty solid list of some autumnal inspiration. Enjoy every bit of this glorious season, and…
Love It! Live It! Share It!