We all know life is short and at times it feels like it flies by. As super busy humans we can get tied down with work, the stresses of life, everyday obligations and we may often forget there is a world out there full of adventure, culture, breathtaking views and wanderlust. My traveling bug first started in 2004 when my dad shipped my younger brother, Nicky, and I off to Cassino, Italy to get cultured and learn Italian. Truth be told, I didn’t do great in the speaking Italian department, with the exception of: birra, vino, auguri and “dove e mi frattello?”. However, what I did learn, was that I LOVE traveling. I love the idea of going to a new place and having no idea what to expect or who I’m going to meet. That same year in the tiny village of Cassino I met my soul sister, Deanna. And when I say soul sister, I mean I met the Australian version of me. Had I not gone on that trip, and believe me, I was scared to death to travel without my family and just my little brother, I never would have met one my dearest, closest friends. Which, of course, led me to travel down under to visit the girl I laugh so hard with we cry every moment we spend together. Another trip to Oz will be had very soon.
The memories made while traveling, vacationing or staycationing stay with you forever. Here are my favorite reasons why I urge you to all take time away from life and enjoy the world we live in!
1. Traveling opens the mind and the heart.
2. Vino never tasted so good in an ancient city and a pina colada is perfection on a sandy beach.
3. You only live once.
4. You never know who you will meet. A new best friend, a family that shows you their lifestyle and home, a beautiful, new fella or lady, if you’re in the market.
5. Breathing in new air is good for the soul and beyond refreshing.
6. A calm ocean can relieve a stormy mind.
7. The food! Period.
8. Walking barefoot in the sand is the world’s best exfoliator.
9. Day drinking in a new or old city can make for a very interesting afternoon and lots of laughs.
10. Having the time to actually sit and watch the sun set is a gift.
11. You can be and wear whatever you damn well please.
12. Taking a hike is like taking advantage of nature’s gym.
13. Having time to relax and be with family and friends while on vacation is not the same as relaxing with family and friends while not on vacation. Time away WITH loved ones is a very special time.
14. Exploring a new land is like being a kid again.
15. Taking advantage of the planet’s natural swimming pools!
16. Traveling with other couples creates stronger bonds and friendships that last a lifetime.
17. Going on worldly adventures not only offers copious amount of time to JUST BE with your partner, but it also strengthens your relationship.
18. Collecting artifacts, sea glass, rocks and favorite items from far away lands are sometimes the most precious things you will ever own.
19. You can nap anytime, anywhere with no work to worry about.
20. A little dose of Vitamin D (ala sunscreen) does a body good.
21. Experiencing another culture is not unlike reading a book about it, except you can feel it, taste it and see it.
22. Speaking of, perfect time to read that book you’ve been dying to read.
23. Slow down. It’s ok to be lazy on vacation.
24. And it’s also okay to bust a move and get check marks on that bucket list!
25. Take photos. Make and preserve memories to share and save forever.
26. Americans are known to not use the little, paid vacation time we are given…USE IT!
27. You only live once…did I already mention that?
28. See how and what other cultures eat and put in their body, there are lessons to be learned all over the world.
29. The human spirit needs adventure!
30. Whether it’s a road trip, world tour or staycation, no matter what, you’ll be very happy you went. Go see the world friends!
Nicky and I in Rome on our second trip to Italy together. (2005, Spanish Steps)
My best friend and bridesmaid…grazie Cassino, Italy! (2013, Playa Del Carmen, Mexico)
Love it. Live it. Share it.