Staples: A main or important element. Those of you who give a flying fuck about what you look like have “staples” in your wardrobe don’t you? And they certainly don’t consist of your favorite mom jeans or Tom’s. You have cool ass shit hanging in your closet. People even have staples in their diets. I have a ton of mom friends who consider a decent bottle of Trader Joe’s rosè to be one of them. But what about cosmetics? Does everyone have the right beauty staples they need in their cosmetic wardrobe? I think not. I know this because a ton of y’all hit me up constantly asking me the same question. What makeup do I need in order to have everything I need? You have come to the right place. I am your Beauty Doctor and today I am prescribing you 10 staples you need to purchase in order to have a healthy cosmetic relationship with yourself.
First and foremost. Do you have a BeautyBlender? If you answered no, I just cyber slapped the shit out of you. What the hell is wrong with you? I have been beating this into your heads for a couple of years now. BEST. BEAUTY. TOOL. EVER. Click and buy it right effing now.
Here is the list of the 10 staples you need.
- Base/Tinted Moisturizer. Most of us can get away with a good tinted moisturizer as a base for everyday into evening. This product covers enough BS while allowing our natural glow and tones to shine through. I find it easy to layer for a little more coverage if needed. Laura Mercier’s tinted moisturizer is my suggested product. Oh, if shine isn’t our thing you def need a nice translucent powder to dull that shine a bit. I use one over my base every day. (Nars Translucent Powder)
- Bronzer. This is a necessary staple in your beauty closet. No if’s and’s or but’s about it. A little bronzer in just the right places adds a world of difference to your look. Note I said a little. It is illegal to have the dreaded two toned jaw line meets neck while you are living in my world. I will put you under a citizens arrest if I see that shit happening on you. (Nars Bronzer in Laguna)
- Concealer. Every last one of our under eyeballs needs this stuff. Here is when your BeautyBlender comes into play, btw. So, if you are a living, breathing woman who has under eyes? Get some friggin concealer and use it everyday. Thank you. (Tarte Creaseless Concealer)
- Cheek Color. This here will bring you back from the dead. A little cheek color does a woman’s face good. I use a plethora of different blushes so I can’t really suggest one for all of you and your different skin tones. I say, hit up your favorite makeup counter and get yourself some rouge. If you don’t have a favorite makeup counter contact me immediately so I can schedule a genetic test to make sure you are in fact a female.
- Highlighter. This shit right here is a game changer. It takes you from drab to fab. The soft dew of a good highlighter in just the right places will soften your look and add a modern touch. Don’t leave home without putting this on. (Becca Highlighter)
- Mascara. If you are a simple lady, one tube of mascara will do. However, if you are like me, not simple, than you will require two mascara’s. One for daytime and one for when the sun goes down. If you don’t wear mascara by choice I pretty much hate you. Mascara 101, check it out. (L’oreal Voluminous and million lashes)
- Eye Shadow Palette. YOU NEED EYESHADOW. There are so many frigging eyeshadow palettes out there these days. Good ones, too. The cool thing about the eyeshadow palette is you get a bunch of colors you can interchange cohesively. I have to suggest you all just get the Becca palette because it is perfect for simples as well as those of us who love to do it up. This is my favorite palette. Quarter of a year I have been digging this thing. That is definitely a record. (Becca Nude Eye Shadow Palette)
- Eyeliner. I don’t care who you are. If you want to build your cosmetic wardrobe you need eyeliner. I use several types of liners. The two I think are most user friendly for the simples are the gel liner and pencil. I suggest you do the same or pick one of the two. Oh, and if you are overlining your bottom lash line with a thick ass unblended liner, please meet me on the corner of Cicero and Roosevelt so I can pimp you out. Nothing, I mean NOTHING, pisses me off more than the unlined top lash line and the over lined, unblended bottom. I die when I see this shit on humans who I know for a fact have eyesight and a mirror. DIE. (Bobbi Brown Gel Liner, MAC Eye Kohl)
- Lip Color. This one isn’t as simple as the rest. You can’t have just one but you have to have something. I mean, you can but you are certainly not going to have a complete cosmetic wardrobe with one lonely ass lipstick. To make it easy… I say you need three. A neutral lip, a pop of color and an evening lip. I prefer to have a nude/neutral lip for daytime and a deep wine lip for evening. Some would say you absolutely need a red lip color but I disagree, unless of course you want the red lip to be your staple lip color, then have at it. (MAC Hug Me, Mac Girl About Town, Bobbi Brown Crimson)
- Brows. I know a lot of y’all are afraid to fill the brows but lets have a little chat. You need to. You don’t need to go all crazy and create some big ass arched brow overnight. However, it is necessary to create a little shape and give them the illusion of actually being present. You should actually have eyebrows on your face, you know. (Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade, Anastasia Brow Wiz)
I am clearly obsessed and very knowledgable when it comes to cosmetics. See what my favorite beauty products of all time are, Part 1 and Part 2, to get a little inspiration and to put an even bigger dent in your bank account. Sorry.
Now, be a good patient and listen to your beauty doctor. And remember… when you look good, you feel good!
Love it. Live it. Share it.