This little cup o’ turmeric is my spin on warm lemon water on a chilly fall or winter morning. During the summer I prefer to sip on my turmeric health bomb, but once the weather turns nippy – my turmeric tea is on full blast. It’s warming, a little spicy and is both tart and sweet. A lot going on, but so yum. It’s absolutely perfect for AM or PM in the fall and winter months. Plus, it’s so good for you.
I’m sure many of us are already privy to the benefits of both lemon water and turmeric, but just for the hell of it, I’ll go ahead and list some of the good stuff they can both do for you and your body.
Benefits of warm lemon water:
- Lemon is rich in vitamin C and helps boost the immune system. Be prepared for cold season!
- Drinking it in the morning helps flush out toxins.
- Wakes up your digestive tract.
- Helps maintain the pH levels in the body.
Benefits of turmeric:
- Can help ease joint pain and inflammation associated with arthritis.
- Helps strengthen the immune system.
- Studies have shown it to help promote heart health.
- Further research is being conducted to determine how turmeric curcumin can aid in cancer, IBS, cholesterol disorders and Alzheimer’s.
- juice of half of a lemon
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- a tiny dash of cayenne (optional)
- 1 tsp good quality honey
- Get your water warm – it by no means needs to boil. Just good and hot.
- While water is warming, place everything, but the honey, into your mug or thermos.
- Pour water over lemon, cayenne, and turmeric.
- Add a teaspoon of honey into hot tea and mix around.
Suggestion: some folks add powdered ginger or even a ginger tea bag. If you do that, go right on ahead and skip the cayenne.
Be mindful that if you let your drink sit for a bit, the turmeric will go to the bottom of the mug so be sure to have a spoon nearby if need be to mix things up.
Cheers! xo, Lauren