They say that humans spend one-third of their lives in bed sleeping…or at least trying to sleep.
In our lifetime, we will spend an average of 229,961 hours asleep. Sounds dreamy.
Any way you spin it, we spend a hell of a lot of time in bed. Whether it’s tossing and turning or sound asleep – deciding what kind of mattress to do all of the above (and then some) is a big decision.
On average, a mattress should last close to ten years – that’s a long time to have something.
My husband and I have had our Tempur-Pedic for just over decade. Both of our backs are telling us that it is time to investigate and purchase a new mattress so, I’ve done some digging around and below are the three mattresses we will choose from.
Being that there are so many mattresses out there, I chose to take a few different platforms into consideration while researching. Instagram surveys, Consumer Reports, and user reviews were my main sources for quality and trusted information.
With that being said, I cannot lie, shopping for a mattress is absolutely mind-numbing.
Sleeping is extraordinarily personal. How a human sleeps is so particular that you really just need to snoop around, set a budget, buy a damn mattress, sleep on it, and hope for the best. If it doesn’t work out, well, that’s what return policies are for.
Here’s hoping we pick the right one!
Casper – The Casper Mattress
Type of mattress: foam or hybrid foam and springs
Price range: $1,000-$1,400 (Cal King)
Risk Free Trial: 100 days
Warranty: 10 year
In a recent poll with our Instagram community, Casper mattresses won in a landslide victory!
Casper’s Zoned Support seems to be working very well with many of our readers. In an effort to work for all body types, the Zoned Support system provides support under your shoulders, hips, and legs. So, no matter your height, weight, or position you choose to snooze, you will receive optimal spinal alignment. This is very important.
With over 18,000 reviews and a 4.5 star rating, it sure sounds like they’re doing something right. The Casper Hybrid scored an 84 on the Consumer Reports and a 3 for firmness.
Doggy mom and dads, there’s even a Casper mattress with your furbaby’s name on it.
Reviews we love!
- I always wondered what it would be like to sleep floating in space..this is pretty close to what I imagined.
- Ex moved out. I needed a new mattress. I got a Casper. My back stopped hurting. Then I moved to LA. I sold the Casper and bought the exact same one again in LA. Now I’m on my new Casper. My back still doesn’t hurt.
- I thought there was no way this mattress was as good as it was hyped up to be….but I am very happy to have been proved wrong! I suffer from an anxiety disorder that causes lots of issues with my sleep and I can honestly say having my Casper has greatly improved the quality of sleep I’ve been getting! Thank you!
Learn more at: www.casper.com
Avocado – Green Mattress
Type of mattress: organic latex
Price range: $1,700 (Cal King)
Risk free trial: One year!
Warranty: 25 year
With one of the leading scores on consumer reports, Avocado is coming in hot!
Actually, on the contrary, Avocado sleepers love that it sleeps cool and doesn’t over heat.
As one may suspect by the name, Avocado mattresses are eco-conscious, non-toxic, and organic. Love. They even have a vegan one. Depending on the feel you’re going for, there is an option to add a plush European-style pillow top, which from user reviews, sounds heavenly.
Designed in Hoboken and handmade (yes, you read that right, handmade) in California, Avocado Green received a 7 in firmness rating as well as “excellent” marks for a plethora of sleepers, totaling in an overall score of 85 on Consumer Reports.
Sounds like their customer service representatives do a wonderful job as well!
A bit more:
- No polyester, polyurethane foams, or toxic fire retardants are used in the creation of these mattresses.
- The mattress has a reputation for being on the heavy side. They suggest two humans open and move the mattress into place, especially the larger size bedding.
Reviews we love!
- Love my new mattress – not only is it comfortable I appreciate that it doesn’t have any scent:) Unpacking was entertaining BUT very easy! Well done Avocado, worth every cent! And a special thank you for honoring military and veterans.
- For months I would wake up with a sore lower back. The Consumer Reports review of the Avocado convinced us to choose it. My wife and I are both side sleepers, so we chose the pillow top king. No more waking up to a sore back!
Learn more at: www.avocadogreenmattress.com
Brooklyn Bedding – Brooklyn Signature Hybrid
Type of mattress: foam
Price range: $1,300 (Cal King)
Risk free trial: 120 days
Warranty: 10 year
We felt inclined to look into this mattress based on a glowing review from one of our Instagram friends. After much research and four years of sleeping on a Brooklyn Bedding mattress, her and her husband love it! And they’re not the only ones – the reviews for this mattress are extraordinary.
A cooling comfort, encased coils, and high-density foam, oh my! This mattress certainly sounds like a low-key triple threat and I suppose that is what’s so intriguing about it.
Another unique aspect to the Brooklyn Bedding mattress is the option to “choose a firmness”. The options are soft, medium (their best seller), and firm. Talk about customizing your sleeping needs.
Reviews we love!
- I trusted the personal review of 2 coworkers after studying the market and we decided on this mattress. BEST DECISION EVER. So comfortable and has even improved my domestic relationship. Hallelujah!
- This might be the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever owned. I have used traditional and all-foam mattresses, but this is better. It feels soft and lets me sink in a little bit, but not too much.
- Best money I have ever spent! Delivery was fast and bed is amazingly comfortable. I am completely satisfied!
Learn more at: www.brooklynbedding.com