My favorite new recipe of 2020 is coming your way!
I have long loved Middle Eastern cooking and all things slow-roasted and flavor explosions.
I really love meals that are easy to prepare and can be stretched to feed a crowd. This is just that meal.
During quarantine, I started missing some of my favorite spots and street food delights here in Chicago. Falafel and shawarma being at the top of my list.
I was perusing the internet one day during self-isolation, in desperate need to scratch my itch for chicken shawarma. Would you believe I found a recipe that single-handedly got Ryan and I through the initial phase of quarantine?
I am thrilled to be sharing my own version of perhaps the only chicken dish, aside from cast iron skillet roast chicken on the blog with you.
This one is a keeper and could not be easier to prepare.
You can enjoy this dish on a bed of romaine or stuffed neatly in a pita. I always serve it with an array of accoutrements. Things like tzatziki sauce, feta, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion pair nicely.
At the end of the day, it is the simple pleasures that create some of life’s greatest moments.
I have yet to find a moment sitting around a table, filled with good food, surrounded by those dearest to me and feel anything but joy.
Consider this dish the next time you are looking to create a moment.
You and yours will not be disappointed.
- 2 Lemons, Juiced
- 1/2 cup olive oil + 1 tbsp.
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- pinch ground cinnamon
- red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 1 pepper, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Combine the lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, turmeric, cinnamon and red pepper flakes in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover and store in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- When you are ready to roast, heat the oven to 425°. Use the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to grease the rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the onion and pepper to the chicken and toss to combine.
- Place the chicken on the pan, spreading everything evenly throughout.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast until the chicken is browned and the edges are crispy. Cook for between 30 - 40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 2 minutes, then slice.
- Scatter parsley over the top and serve with pita, cucumbers, romaine or spinach. There are no rules here!