The best soups are the ones you create with the ingredients you have on hand.
This super hearty and simple tortellini, sausage, and spinach soup are on the regular rotation around here.
I happen to have the ingredients for it are on hand often but any variation of the items on this list are acceptable and can still make a super simple, extra cozy soup.
My kids love tortellini so I always have some in the refrigerator. They come in handy for stracciatella too.
If you don’t have spinach, kale works too. This soup can be made without meat but, the truth is, it’s the crumbled sausage is what gives it such great flavor.
Finally, I save all of my parmesan rinds specifically for soups, stews, and sauce. If you don’t have one handy, no worries, a big palm-full of grated Parmesan with do the trick but remember to start freezing those rinds–they really add to the flavor!
Serve with crusty buttered bread and enjoy!
Tortellini, Sausage, and Spinach Soup
- Soup Pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ lbs ground sausage
- 1 can whole tomatoes I prefer San Marzanos
- 1 can great northern beans
- 2 qrt chicken broth
- 1 parmesan cheese rind
- 1 bunch spinach
- grated or shaved parmesan
- 1 package tortellini, family size
- Pour olive oil into pot and add onions. Saute until translucent and then add the garlic until you can smell the aroma. (About 30 seconds)
- Add the ground sausage to the pot and brown then add the whole tomatoes with or without the juice. Break the tomatoes in the pot with the back of your spoon.
- Next add the can of beans and chicken stock. Bring to a boil for a minute and then simmer.
- Add the parmesan cheese rind and simmer for 30 minutes or so.
- While the soup simmers boil water and cook the tortellini per the package instructions.
- Add the spinach and when it is wilted add the tortellini and serve with grated or shaved parmesan cheese.