You know when you take a bite of something and you can just taste the season of it? Well, that’s how this salad is.
It screams late summer the moment it hits your taste buds.
The combination of watermelon, feta, and balsamic glaze is a perfect trifecta. The sweetness of the watermelon and tartness of the glaze is a match made in heaven, but the real star of the show are the quick-pickled onions. They single-handedly take this salad to another level.
I’m a sucker for pickled anything – just the other day I was eating pickled okra. They were delicious by the way.
To make quick-pickled onions is exceptionally easy and you may never not have a mason jar of them in your refrigerator for the rest of your life. They go well on almost anything. Plus, they make for the perfect little homemade gift to bring to a friend’s home when in a pinch.
This salad goes great with anything hot off the grill, but I also sometimes eat it for dessert. Anything goes.
I hope you absolutely love this simple summer salad. Enjoy!
Watermelon, Feta, and Quick Pickled Onion Salad
- 16oz mason jar
- 1 small watermelon, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 medium red onion, sliced very thin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- To make the pickled onions:
- Stuff your thinly sliced onions into a 16oz mason jar.
- Over low/medium heat, combine water, apple cider vinegar, distilled white vinegar, honey, salt, and red pepper in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for just a moment, give it a stir, and remove from heat.
- Very carefully, pour the mixture over the onions.
- Using a wooden spoon, push the onions down to be sure that all of them are mixed with your pickling solution.
- Allow the onions to cool on the counter uncovered. Once they are at room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
- Enjoy after 30 minutes of pickling. Best used within a week of pickling, but can last in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I suspect they'll be gone before then.
- For the salad:
- Place the watermelon in a medium-size serving bowl, layer with crumbled feta cheese, then place some quick pickled onions on top. Lastly, drizzle balsamic glaze on top and enjoy!