I have always been attracted to the greener things in life.
Naturally, matcha was love at first sip and a much-welcomed alternative to my morning caffeine boost, and unless you’ve been living under a rock, it is kind of all the rage these days.
But truth be told, matcha is nothing new.
According to a quick google search, I learned that this nutrient-packed green tea powder can be traced all the way back to the Tang Dynasty, which spanned between the 7th and 10th centuries.
Matcha is made by blending green tea leaves into a fine powder, but the unique way the plant is shaded while it grows makes it so rich in antioxidants and health benefits.
I personally love the bitter, and green grassy flavor of matcha, but if you aren’t hardcore just yet, flavored matcha is also an option and a little bit of honey never hurt no one.
In the last month or more I have drank matcha exclusively as part of my morning ritual and since I made the shift, I have noticed better, more energized workouts, and less desire to eat early in the day.
Matcha contains a type of caffeine called Theophylline. This provides a longer sustained energy boost, unlike the 30-minute spike slump with a side of jitters I would always get from coffee.
Matcha’s clean caffeinated flavor is a welcomed change and the long-lasting energy and endless health benefits are why this green drink has stood the test of time.
Are you still wondering why you should give matcha a whirl?
Here is a list of Matcha Health Benefits
- Matcha is rich in antioxidants which help stabilize harmful free radicals that help to protect against chronic disease and aging.
- Matcha is jam-packed with chlorophyll which is a detoxifier and can also aid in maintaining alkalinity.
- Matcha has can help with increased concentration due to L-theanine which aids in mental clarity, alertness, and focus.
- Matcha’s hefty load of catechins can help in the reduction of lowering cholesterol and heart disease prevention.
Still not sold?
Try matcha for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below.
Stay cool. Stay cozy. Drink matcha.
- 1 matcha whisk
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 4 oz. hot water
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 splash plant-based milk
- Add matcha, hot water, and honey to a bowl.
- Whisk until frothy and add to a cup of ice.
- Top with milk and enjoy.
TO LISTEN TO OUR PODCAST, “COZY CONVERSATIONS WITH THE SISTER PROJECT”, PLEASE STREAM ON SPOTIFY, APPLE, ANCHOR.COM, OR ANYWHERE ELSE YOU STREAM PODCASTS.
To learn more about how you can support The Sister Project and the content we create, please head HERE.